- Jeans are a must. Jeans are a wardrobe staple that match just about everything, so having a few pairs on hand is never a bad thing. Colored jeans are all the rage right now, so make sure to pick up at least one pair of those. Stick to a few pairs of basic blue jeans as well so that they can be mixed and matched with tops.
- Leggings are great for girls. For girls, leggings are a must wear item. They can be paired with a cute dress or a long shirt, or they can be worn under a shorter skirt. Choose basic colors like navy, black, and white when buying leggings so that you can mix and match them easily.
- A basic white shirt goes with everything. For both boys and girls, buying a basic white shirt is a closet staple. The white shirt doesn’t have to be a plain t-shirt though, and you can buy girls a pretty blouse and boys a white button-down or polo. Make sure to use bleach when you wash these because a bright white shirt looks great, but a dingy gray one does not.
- Underwear and socks are very important. As kids grow it’s often overlooked if they need bigger underwear or new socks. See how your child’s are fitting and assess if she needs some new ones.
- A jacket or hoodie will allow kids to layer. Fall is an especially tricky time to dress for the weather since it frequently changes throughout the day, so putting your kids in layers will help them stay comfortable all day long. If it’s a little cool in the morning when he walks to school a jacket or hoodie will keep him warm, but you don’t want to dress him in a sweatshirt because by afternoon it will have warmed up and he will be hot. Sometimes the air conditioning in schools can seem too cold to some so having a way to keep the chill off will make your child more comfortable.
- Tennis shoes are a must for gym class. Kids don’t necessarily need the latest and greatest brand name shoes, but they do need shoes that fit well and allow them to move quickly with ease. Whatever your budget, it’s important that the shoes fit and support her growing feet.
- Boys will need a pair of nicer slacks. Sometimes schools will take the kids on a field trip to see a play or musical and ask that they dress up for the event. Having a pair of dress slacks that can be paired with the basic white shirt that you’ve already bought will give them an easy option when they need to look a little nicer.
- Girls may need a dress. This dress does not have to be overly frilly and full of ruffles, but it shouldn’t be too casual either. Find something comfortable that would be age appropriate for your girl.
- Dress shoes are needed. To go with the boys’ dress pants and with the girls’ dress a pair of dress shoes is needed. Unlike the tennis shoes that will most likely be worn almost every day, the dress shoes can be inexpensive if they aren’t going to be worn frequently. Buy something very basic, like a black or brown shoe that can be worn with most colors.
- A winter coat is a must in most climates. Some areas of the country will use this more often than others, but most areas will need a winter coat at some point during the year. How heavy the coat is will be determined by where you live. If you have almost six months of winter, like in the Midwest and Northern states, you will want to get a coat that is heavy or has several separate layers. Warmer climates may only need a light parka.
P.S. This post was proposed to me for publication by Tina Marconi. I'm therefore publishing it by her invitation and under her permission. See also the link below fore more information: