Being a mom is a 24/7 job, and it should come as no surprise that moms are a pretty hardworking bunch that spend most of their days trying to ensure that their children and family are well taken care of and happy. It’s easy for mom’s personal well-being to get lost in the shuffle of taking care of everyone else; however you have to keep in mind that if you don’t take care of yourself it can be hard to take care of others. Instead of taking the time out of your busy schedule and spending a bunch of money to pamper yourself outside of the house, check out these 10 ways to pamper yourself in the comfort of your own home:
- Pedicures at home save big bucks. If you’ve ever had a salon pedicure you know they start by putting your feet in a warm bubbly bath. If you have a foot bath pull it out of the closet and fire it up with some warm water, ¼ cup of baking soda, and a few drops of peppermint essential oil. The soda will soften the water, the oil will soften your feet, and the peppermint promotes relaxation. Follow the foot bath by cleaning and trimming your toe nails. Apply some cuticle remover and push back the cuticles on your toes. Put your feet back into the bath to give your toes a quick scrub. Now apply lotion to your feet and legs and give yourself a quick massage. Use a cotton ball and nail polish remover to clean any lotion or leftover nail polish from your toe nails. Paint your toe nails with your favorite nail polish and finish with a good top coat.
- Make your own facial mask. Start by mixing 2 tablespoons of super fine sugar with ¼ cup of olive oil. Apply scrub to face and rub gently in a circular motion to slough off dead skin cells, and then rinse the scrub off with warm water. Now apply a mask made from 1 really ripe banana, 1 tablespoon of honey, and a few drops of orange or lemon juice. After applying the mask cover your eyes with slices of cucumber to refresh tired eyes and lay back for 15 minutes. Rinse off the mask with a steaming wash cloth. This mask is appropriate for oily skin.
- Take a break. One of the best ways to pamper yourself is to know when you need a break. Being around kids can sometimes take a toll on your patience, and it’s better to grab a few minutes for yourself than to be harsh with the kids. When the kids go down for a nap take your music player, headphones, and a cup of hot chocolate and find a comfy spot to sit. Play some relaxing music through the headphones while you enjoy your hot chocolate. If you find yourself getting drowsy you probably need a quick nap. Set your timer for 15 minutes and close your eyes. This power nap will refresh you and you will get your calm back so that you can be a better mom.
- Give yourself a manicure. One thing that busy moms rarely do is paint their fingernails. You’re in and out of the water so much that it seems like a waste of time. Start by soaking your nails in some warm soapy water. Dry off your hands and apply a good quality cuticle remover and allow it to sit for a few minutes. Put your hands back in the warm soapy water and give your cuticles a brush with a soft nail brush. Apply some hand lotion to your hands and arms. After it has soaked in take a cotton ball that has been moistened with nail polish remover and run it over your nails to remove any lotion or old nail polish remnants. Now apply a base coat to your nails and allow it to dry. Then apply two coats of a good quality nail polish. Finish with a quick drying top coat. Watch some TV and allow your nails to dry completely. Remember to use rubber gloves when doing household chores so that your nails stay looking fresh for a longer period of time.
- Order dinner in every once in a while. After you put the kids to bed enjoy a quiet romantic meal with your spouse or significant other. Bring out the candles and order in some nice Italian food or other type that you like. Turn on some romantic music and enjoy having some down time to chat with your spouse.
- Have a glass of wine. Dr. Oz will tell you that having a glass of red wine every day is great for your health. Take time after the kids have gone to bed to put your feet up and enjoy a glass of wine and a good movie. If you don’t drink you can enjoy a nice hot cup of tea to achieve the same effect. You need to recharge your batteries too.
- Read a good book. Moms say all the time that they are so busy with the house and the kids that they can’t remember the last time they read a good book. It’s important to take time for yourself. Put the kids to bed earlier if you don’t feel like you have any time to get stuff done. Reading helps keep your mind sharp and lets you feel connected to the outside world.
- Take a walk after supper. Leave the kids with your spouse and take a nice walk after supper. Let your worries drift away as you enjoy the world around you. The exercise will help you digest your meal and feel better about yourself.
- Enjoy a bubble bath. Light some candles and turn on some spa music. You can buy spa CD’s or download songs from the Internet to your MP3 player. While the water is running add in some bubble bath and essential oil. If you want to relax add in lavender oil. If you need to feel invigorated add in grapefruit oil. Before getting into the tub grab your fluffiest towel and your robe and set them close by. If you’d like, you can bring in a glass of wine as well. Climb into the tub and lean back and relax. Let the stresses of the day flow out of your body.
- Meditating can bring back your calm and be the ultimate in pampering yourself. Sit or lay comfortably in a dark room. Concentrate on your breathing. After your breathing has slowed allow your mind to clear. If things that you need to do pop into your mind just gently push them aside and go back to clearing your mind. Those things will still be there when you are done.