last moon

mercoledì 21 agosto 2019

Traveling in space-time with Virgil




A drama in a prologue and three acts

Characters
Virgil:  a Latin dead poet
Dante: an   Italian poet still alive
Men from  Hell
Ealk : Great Beast, guardian of the Ante Hell
Waitress
Men from Purgatory
Angels from Paradise
Beatrice: a beautiful celestial lady

Prologue
Somewhere in the space  the Latin poet Virgil and the Italian poet Dante meet again, after almost seven hundred years, for starting a new journey on the universe of human vices and virtues.
Virgil will lead Dante Alighieri, as a guide, across the space-time, through as many different  levels of the human vices, as many centuries have passed by from their first journey.
They will travel  together  through the hell of  desperation up to the hope of repentance of purgatory. At the third level Dante eventually meets Beatrice who will lead him to the true love shore of Paradise.
  
Scene 1 of the Prologue
Dante and Virgil
An aseptic room. On the left a door communicates outside. On the right a spiral staircase leads upside where the spaceship awaits for Virgil and Dante to go. In a total darkness the creak of an opening door. Dante will desperately call for his master Virgil.

Dante (a frightened voice in the darkness): May I come in? Is anyone there…? Schoolmaster!!! Are you there? Please answer me… for God’s sake…
(After a short but heavy silence’s time, a scrubbing sound of a lighting match will be heard in the darkness. Then a candle will light an old man sit down at a table covered by piles of books, papers and maps.
Virgil (after reawakening,  he lights the candle ): I must have fallen asleep…Who is in there???
Dante (still trembling): Is it you, master?
Virgil: (going to meet Dante, hardly recognizes his friend, lighting his face) Dante…? My son!!! Why are you so shattered and distraught??? What happened to you???
Dante (getting closer to his master, almost crying in a mixture  of joy and relief ) Oh, Virgil, masterly teacher of my trembling soul… if you only knew what I have gone through…
Virgil (placing his candle on the table, embracing him with protective affection): It’s all right now, my son…
Dante (falling on his arms, starts crying and sobbing): It has been really very hard outside there, in the darkness… I saw death in the face…
Virgil (l.b.): Please, take a sit, my son… It’s all over now…
Dante(reacquiring some trust): Thanks to God I’m with you now…
Virgil (l.b. pouring a glass of water from a jar on the table) Of course… It will be all right now… Please have some water…
Dante (drinking with desire the water): I have escaped three horrible beasts…
Virgil: Have you?
Dante (trembling again and looking afraid at the door): Yes… A tiger, a serpent and a monkey persecuted me up to here…
Virgil: Be calm now… they can’t surely get inside here…
Dante (reassured he looks gratefully at Virgil): I know they can’t my sweet master…
Virgil (with a gesture of affection): Forget about everything now…Are you still determined to take over our journey?
Dante (with a sigh of relief): More than ever master! With you by my side I can face anything fearless!!!
Virgil: (pointing out the spiral staircase)  Don’t you fear to face a long and risky journey  through the Universe with that spaceship?
Dante: Not at all, master!!! I told you: I’m ready to go anywhere with you by my side!!!
Virgil (taking a map on his hands): Let’s talk about it then! Everything is ready… I’ll show you…Do you know what is this?
Dante (bending on the map): Well … I see two cones turned upside down …
Virgil: Come on! It’s an astronomic figure!!!
Dante: I’m sorry…It might be a double cone diagram …
Virgil: That’s better. The bottom cone  represents the past and the  light cone, instead, is future! The point where the apices meet is the present; so we are here now , can you see it?
Dante (pointing the map): Yes master, I surely can! But what is this kind of spiral down here ?
Virgil: The Great Spiral contains all the human’s history, since our brain can retain trace of it…Every concentric circle corresponds to a century time… the inner you go to the center, the nearer you get closer to our ancestral roots, do you get me?
Dante (with a thrill of excitement): That’s makes me feel a bit lost…It’s all so stately… so magnificent…
Virgil: Of course it is! We are talking about the space-time…That’s what the spiral really represents…
Dante (like lost in the clouds): That’s would be fantastic…
Virgil (preventing and reassuring him ): It’s out of our route to travel the warped direction… we’ll walk  the expanding  direction instead…  with our spaceship we’ll intersect the space time right here (he points up with a finger the map)… at the beginning of the fourteenth century and from there we’ll continue towards the present;
Dante (surprised and excited): But that’s the anniversary of my exile  from Florence!!!
Virgil (with an accomplishing smile): Of course! Right the 1302… Don’t you want to know what happened after your left the town???
Dante (enthusiastically): So I’ll be able to see my beloved wife???
Virgil (beating him dear on his head): Have you forgotten we are going to visit the Hell??? You’ll see her in Paradise!!! Or at least in the Purgatory realms…
Dante (disappointed but thoughtful): I’m sorry master… I didn’t forget it but for a while  I thought it might me a sort of passageway in the way to hell… ‘you know?
Virgil: Not at all, my son. Look! All along the spiral’s arms we’ll find the different circles of Hell; in its last part we’ll be in the so called Ante Hell; but here (he points  the map again), where the final part of the spiral almost touches the present’s point we’ll aim the peaks of Purgatory…
Dante (with lively curiosity): so I may argue that the Hell is in the same dimension of past life?
Virgil (complying with satisfaction): That’s right my dear learner. As a matter of fact the right established punishment for the sinners is to stay in the unhappy condition of human life forever, without evolving in a better life like we’ll see for the Purgatory and, above all, for the praised of Paradise!!!
Dante: I see…
Virgil: Don’t be disappointed. Can’t  you imagine a worse punishment than sharing your own time only with the evil without any good at all???
Dante (positively thoughtful): Of course you’re right…
Virgil: Put it this way: you’ll be able to see your enemies… those who exiled you… lost forever in their thirst of power, in the vacuity of  their nothingness… and those who betrayed you…
Dante: I’m not sure to want such a revenge…
Virgil: That goes to your praise and merit…Aren’t you curious about the destiny of the big priest Boniface? Charles landless Valois? And what about Raniero Zaccaria?
Dante: (sadly) I would prefer to forget them!
Virgil: You don’t have to stop forcedly with them…We can decide the first stop   in advance by the on board controls…
Dante: Do you mean we can land anywhere in the spiral lines of space-time?
Virgil: That’s exactly what I mean!!!
Dante: I fear to face events too close to my own story…
Virgil: There’s no problem, my son. We can go straight way to any of the circles of any century!!!
Dante : As far as I know something about some good guys I could really go further..Can I know only a few names before we go?
Virgil: Go ahead with the names please!!!
Dante: (thirstily) Giovanni Boccaccio,  Cino da Pistoia, Pieraccio Tebaldi, Bosone da Gubbio, Geoffrey Chaucer, Johannes Gutenberg  and his  pupil  Johann Numeister!
Virgil: You’ll find them all in the Purgatory or maybe  in the eternal joy of Paradise!
Dante (with a sigh of relief): I think they deserve it, don’t you master?
Virgil: It’s not up to me to decide, not even to discuss such matters…
Dante: I’m sorry master…
Virgil (overflying any argument): Have you got any other name?
Dante: Can you just tell me something about a certain Francesco, the son of my friend, the notary Ser Petracco?
Virgil: Despite everything he has deserved to play another chance to reach Paradise..at least for literary merits… Don’t you think so?
Dante (bewildered, pedantly listing ): Well, I surely prefer  Rinaldo Cavalchini, Menghino Mezzani, Manuello Romano, Giovanni Quirini, Angelo Poliziano, Luigi Pulci, Lorenzo di Pietro, Giovanni di Paolo, Cristoforo Landino, Franco Sacchetti, Leonardo Bruni, Francesco da Barberino and …
Virgil: (cutting him straight) That’s ok, my son!!! I have got your point of view!!! May be you would like to make our first  stop further in the fifteenth or in the sixteenth century…
Dante (changing attitude, almost apologizing): Oh, the sixteenth  is my favorite one..so full of art…discoveries…new ideas…
Virgil: I’m with you… you can start from there our journey… if you want to…
Dante: Well, it depends from the people we might find over there…in the lines of the infernal spiral I mean…
Virgil: You can make some names, if you want…
Dante: I have a great number in mind…
Virgil: Make ten of them… just to start…
Dante: Let me see… I would start with… Martin Luther,  Nicolaus Copernicus, Leonardo Da Vinci, Niccolò Machiavelli, Michelangelo Buonarroti, William Barker, John Calvin, Sandro Botticcelli, Tintoretto, Luca Marenzio…
Virgil: All in Paradise!!!
Dante: That’s good!!!
Virgil: Any more names?
Dante: Oh, I’ve a great copy… Why don’t you tell me,  master, some names worth to be heard? I would be so grateful…
Virgil: (surprised): Well, there are really plenty. What do you think of Hernan Cortes?
Dante: Do you mean the Spanish conquistador???
Virgil: That’s him, my son…
Dante (a bit upset): Speaking  about Spanish people I would prefer to talk with Diego Guillén de Avila,  Pedro Fernandes de Villegas or with Pedro de Padilla, ‘you see?
Virgil: Well, of course I see, but they are all guys of Paradise…
Dante (quite mortified): I’m really sorry, master…
Virgil (with resolution): Never mind! Do you have any  other names?
Dante: if I were assured about some other figures I would ask you to start straight to the beginning of the seventeenth century…
Virgil: Whom would you like to know of?
Dante: Raffaello Sanzio, Giorgio Vasari, Sir Francis Drake, Amerigo Vespucci,Giovanni Bellini,Adriano Bancheri, Anne Boleyn, John Calvin, Catherine de Medici, Mary Queen of Scots, Charles the Fifth, Nostradamus, Ivan the Terrible, GianPierLuigi da Palestrina, Michel de Montaigne…
Virgil: All of them out of the Great Spiral except for Francis Drake, Nostradamus  and Ivan the Terrible!!!
Dante: (very thoughtful) I’m in two minds… I’m not sure I want to stop just for three names…May I ask for any others?
Virgil: Come on with your last names then!!!
Dante (in one breath): Oliver Cromwell, Johannes Keplero, William Shakespeare,  Cervantes, John Donne, Francis Bacon, Renè Descartes, Thomas Hobbes, Walter Releigh, Mazarino and Richelieu…
Virgil: Only Richelieu and Mazarino have got trapped on the Infernal spiral! But all these names lead us straight to the seventeenth century!!!!
Dante: Very well! I’m ready for the 17th century now!!!
Virgil: Let’s go then!!!
(while they go towards to the staircase which leads to the spaceship the lights will be off)
...to be continued...

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento