last moon

domenica 19 giugno 2016

The European blood


I must confess that until Thursday, the  16th of June,  I had followed the debate on Brexit in an almost indifferent mood.

"That's domestic, internal, British affair" I used to say  to myself.

In short, I was waiting the 23rd of  June ready to accept the outcome of the referendum for what it would be.

I've always thought that the English (a little 'less the Scots and the Northern Irish) were inside the European Union without  any real conviction, with the head standing on the the Atlantic's  major issues and the feet   in the Mediterranean, but only to control us closely, enjoying only the economic benefits of the  European market.

But after the barbaric killing of Labour MP Helen Joanne "Jo" Cox I changed my mind.

Now I feel that England (but this should be extended to the whole of Great Britain) is an indissoluble part of the European Union.

Now I look forward to the outcome of the close referendum.

Now I know that if the death of Jo Cox will tip the scales on the "no" to Brexit (and then on the permanence of the United Kingdom in  the EU), the valiant  Labour MP   did not die in vain.

For her I will continue to be a convinced European.

But from now on I will consider Britain an integral and true part of our European Union.

Let's stay together,  European brothers, stick in our common Christian roots. Without hatred and without racism, but with our well-defined  identity.

It will be easier to deal with those who come from outside and profess another religion if we rediscover our spirituality. I'm not afraid of the Muslims, the Buddhists, the Hindus or the Jews, even though as a Christian (and Catholic in this case) I  rest firmly in my convictions, attached to my roots.

We stick together, to cope against the resurgence neo-Nazis, which lead to hatred, intolerance and violence.

Let's stay united to face any kind of fanaticism and do not allow the unquenchable thirst for spirituality that afflicts humans since the dawn of civilization, be filled with dark mysteries, with vacuous quackery and stray spells, or with false and superficial esoteric convictions.

Beyond all religious convictions (I do not know  anything about the religiosity of Jo Cox but I know that  faith is still a personal matter) Jo Cox was an example of seriousness and commitment in politics and society. An example to follow by all Europeans.

Time will tell us if Jo Cox has contributed with his innocent blood to build a Europe more united and supportive. And if in the great book of our Europe will have the recognition she deserves to have.

One thing is certain: Jo Cox will forever have  an important place in my heart.

Thanks Jo, for what you were and for the example that you have been able to give, while you were alive, with your commitment in favour to the most vulnerable and marginalized.

The hand which  wanted to suppress your ideas has done nothing but give wings to those same ideas, which now fly, free, in the most sensitive and mature minds of your Great Britain and of our Europe.

Yet another demonstration of how useless and foolish are all forms of violence.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento