last moon

domenica 7 febbraio 2016

The alabaster jar

From Saint Matthew's Gospel
Chapter 26
VV 6-13



One day Jesus was in Bethany,  with Simon
The leper.  While they had been sitting
at table,  a woman came with the intention 
To wash  Jesus's hair, with one of those perfumes 
known for their big value!
The  disciples didn't like it however:

-         “If she didn't have so quickly 
broken the jar of alabaster with  the ointments
it kept inside, we would have sold it, for three hundred
and more guineas, and given to  unhappy poor men!”

The complaint   reached the ear of Jesus who said:

“Why are you upsetting this woman?
What she has done for me is indeed a nice thing!
As for the poorest, with your zeal
You will always be able, with good actions,
to help them, but you will not always have me. 
When she poured this ointment on my body,
she did it to prepare me for burial. 
 In truth I tell you, whatever space will find my Gospel,
what she has done will be told as well,

in remembrance of her.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento